Amidst the growing number of plus-size-friendly activewear retailers I’ve reviewed over the last year, one brand has personally caught my eye— Athleta. I know this may seem like a surprising choice, especially when considering the era of trendy, TikTok-famous fashion landscape we’ve been in. Don’t get me wrong, Athleta has been popping up across social media — especially for their inclusive in-store shopping options (a rarity for plus-size shoppers) — but odds are the brand’s imagery isn’t inundating your feed with a tsunami of “vibe” pics.
The brand’s focus seems to be elsewhere. Athleta makes very high-quality products from extensive fit-testing with the utmost focus on fabric feel, thickness, softness, and functionality. On top of that, the company is officially recognized as a B-Corp for its intentional efforts to integrate sustainability and community in every aspect of its operation.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors.
1. A pair of Salutation leggings for a high-rise option that won't go slipping and sliding when you're busy perfecting your downward dog - Price: $79
Promising review: “I used to buy cheaper yoga pants, and now that I’ve worn the ones from Athleta it’s hard to go back. They feel like you’re wearing nothing (in the best way) I love not having to stop to joke them up or adjust them as I flow in class.” –Allyson W.
Available in sizes XXS–2X, regular, tall and petite, and three colors
2. A simple and soft t-shirt dress with pintuck detailing on one side to add just a little extra elegance. Hello, throw on and go dressing! - Price: $89
The modal cotton and spandex blend is the perfect combo of breathable and stretchy — without turning see-through.
Promising review: “One would think a form-fitting white dress would show every line, but somehow this dress doesn’t! It’s my new favorite summer dress —so comfortable and cute.” —Kath3
Available in sizes XXS–2X, regular, tall, and petite, and in black.
3. Paper bag-waist pants that'll prove you don't have to sacrifice comfort for style. Just cinch 'em in as much as you want for a tailored look that never binds. - Price: $89
Promising review: “LOVE this pant. Goes with everything, can dress up or down. Excellent quality. Highly, highly recommend for every day, travel, anywhere you want to look stylish and put together, but casually so.” —gpark
Available in sizes 0–16, regular, tall, and petite, and three colors
4. A relaxed-fit, not-too-heavy sweatshirt so you can add a layer over your swimsuit when beach starts to feel chilly after sunset. - Price: $79
Promising review: “This is your new favorite, perfect sweatshirt! It’s very soft and comfy, but still polished enough to wear out to the grocery store or coffee with friends! The fit reminds me of my favorite old sweatshirt! I want every color!” —My3girls
Available in sizes XXS–XL and five colors
5. A strappy-back sports bra designed for medium-impact workouts. It's quick drying, moisture-wicking, and even rated UPF 50! - Price: $49
It has removable cups and is compatible with their mastectomy bra inserts, as well.
Promising review: “I wanted a sports bra that could hold me when running and also be comfortable enough to wear on my off days. This one has been perfect for both!” —Runningmom
Available in sizes XXS–XL and 16 colors.
6. A pair of cropped, slim-straight leg jeans made with their ~Sculptek~ fiber technology to stretch *with* you AND retain their shape, wear after wear. - Price: $75.99
Promising review: “These are simply a game changer. I despise wearing jeans, but some occasions and outfits call for them. I finally took the plunge to give these a try and they are truly comfortable. I ordered my true jean size and they fit perfectly, even when sitting they are not uncomfortable. These are worth giving a try!” —kateNYC
Originally $108; available in sizes 0–16, regular, tall, and petite
7. A pair of linen shorts so breezy, you might just have to wear them every single day this summer. I don't make the rules! - Price: $59
Promising review: “I love these shorts! The linen is great for keeping cool and the fit is super flattering. I like the length too, not too short and not too long.” —Kiki115
Available in sizes 0–16 and three colors
8. A chic, olive green sheath dress with a *built-in* bralette so you can show off that strappy back without having to deal with extra layers. Price: $128
Promising review: “I am a breast cancer survivor. I had a double mastectomy, I decided to go flat. One of the reasons I love this dress as the pads can be interchanged with the Empower Pads, the post-mastectomy bra inserts that I discovered at Athleta. These pads are awesome too! It’s a total ‘Game Changer‘for me! The fabric is butter soft deliciousness! You don’t have to let cancer dictate your style with clothing like this!”
Available in sizes XXS–2X, regular, tall, and petite
9. A travel-friendly nylon and lycra blazer for anyone who wants to look put-together without feeling constricted or uncomfortable - Price: $198
Promising review: “This blazer looks incredible with the matching pants as well as jeans. It’s super comfortable and has a perfect length. I was concerned it may look too casual but when I wore it to work, I was complimented for looking so ‘dressed up.'”
Available in sizes 0–16!
10. Army pant–inspired joggers so you can be your very own Regina George. - Price: $98
They stretch like a knit, but have the structured look of twill — talk about the best of both worlds! And they have a zipper on the ankles so you can style them as you choose.
Promising review: “These pants are amazing. The fabric is soft and breathable and doesn’t stretch out (or shrink). They are so comfortable and I promptly bought them in two colors AND bought the same style in the short’s version. My only wish is that they came in more colors — the white wasn’t very practical for me as a mom and the two greens are a little too similar in my opinion…but I was so in love with these pants I bought both anyway.” —jane20
Available in sizes 0–16, regular, tall, and petite, and three colors
11. A UPF 50+ cropped rash guard with striped accents on the bottom to go with any of your favorite bikini bottoms or shorts. Now you can look cool and protect your sensitive shoulders from getting burned. - Price: $69
Promising review: “This is not only the cutest ever rash guard but also practical. It has removable pads like a sports bra, so it is very supportive. And the striped band stays in place when arms are raised. I have a longer torso and was worried that the crop would be too short, but it’s not a problem at all. The back zipper with the pull is a plus. I will wear it for walking/exercise as well as swimming, protecting me from the sun while looking on trend. Looks great with cropped workout carpris and/or bathing suit bottom as pictured.” —Busy Beach Mom
Available in sizes XXS–XL and in a floral print
12. High-rise shorts that'll look tailored, but are secretly incredibly lightweight and stretchy. Turns out you *can* look polished in a heatwave without sweating your hiney off - Price: $59
Promising review: “I loved these so much…I had to buy them in another color! So comfortable and stylish at the same time. I wish I had found them sooner!” —Tay M.
Available in sizes 0–16, regular and tall, and three colors!
The Final Word
When considering sustainability, Athleta certainly makes a conscious effort to choose more environmentally friendly materials and recyclable packaging, as well as working alongside various charities.
There isn’t much of a difference at all when it comes to fit and sizing, as all athleisure brands cater to around the same range of body types. Equally, as accommodating as each other, you’ll struggle to find similar quality in the plus-size offerings of sporting goods shops.